vrijdag 12 juni 2009

My grandfathers desk


My grandfather loved bikes. He liked to ride them and work on them. So when my nieces and my brother and I were young he made sure we each had our own bike and every Sunday before and after dinner we drove around at my grandparents street and garden on our custom made bicycles.
In his shed where he repaired our little bikes , stood this desk. He got it from a barbershop and used it to store his tools. After my grandfather died a few years ago, I got it.
So last summer I lovingly restored it; sanded it, put a new top on, painted it and put on some gorgeous handles. Now it's in my room. The tools are gone and replaced by fabrics, scissors, pins and other sewing material, but the memory of my granddad will always remain.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. That is such a lovely desk filled with warm memories. Definitely a legacy piece.

    By the way, I found your blog from CrazyMomQuilts and this post was written on my birthday!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. what a beautiful way to remember him...i love it when furniture has a story

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen